The best mountain biking in north central Missouri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The best mountain biking in north central Missouri

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

some "Conversation"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doug Long

Doug Long

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2007-11-20

some "Conversation" Empty
PostSubject: some "Conversation"   some "Conversation" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Anyone out there have a pulse? We need some conversation on these boards to start motivating the masses.

Here's a start: My wife bought me a Garmin 500 bike computer for Christmas. I left it in the box over by the fireplace until last week. She kept making comments about me possibly not liking it and taking it back. I told her I was just saving it for the spring and my new road bike.

I finally pulled it out of the box and charged it up. Got on line and started reading the manual and all the "bells and whistles" etc...... and what it could do for me as far as measurable data.

I'm not a real tech guy when it comes to all the electronics that allow our youth, and too many adults, to spend too much time playing and being entertained by gadgets. I'm a go out and do it person. The best way to get good at riding your bike is to ride your bike. You'll find that the guys that are real fit and fast ride allot and they do so at higher intensities. My new computer not only does the regular speed, miles, etc.... but is also a gps so I get accurate tracks for routes and info about climbing. It has heart rate and power capability. I'm using the HR function and will eventually add the power function will I want to plop down the money for a powertap wheel build up. It will happen. Those little carrots keep you motivated with the training and even if I'm just out riding my mountain bike to work on tech skills, I'll have some fun data to play with.

Training with data is the only way to go. When you can measure power and heart rate and compare the same information over time using the same routes, you get a better picture of where you are and where you need to get to accomplish goals.

Enough of this tech talk. I'm heading out to ride my bike this morning before we get more snow.
Back to top Go down
thedawg28

thedawg28

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: some "Conversation"   some "Conversation" Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm

The info that you emailed me from our ride on Sunday was amazing. I think I want 1!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedawg28.blogspot.com
distalamputee

distalamputee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: gps   some "Conversation" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 4:49 pm

I've heard the siren call of the Garmin for a long time, but always squash the impulse as my credit cards have far too distended of bellies as it is. The training data that can be amassed is pretty amazing though. It's interesting that there is a post about GPS stuff, as for the past week or so I've been thinking of "cumulative single day Trilogy times" as an ongoing informal club contest/ bragging rights forum, and that shared gps data is the only real media for such adventures.

A note about altitude readings: I've heard that over longer distances the readings can become pretty inflated.
Back to top Go down
Doug Long

Doug Long

PostSubject: Re: some "Conversation"   some "Conversation" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 6:33 am

I've heard some of the same reports. I've read that barometric pressure can dink with them and it's best to set the altimeter at a location with known altitude, like an airport.

The technology is getting better all the time and what I've heard, the accuracy is depending on what the gov't will allow because of defense reasons.

I'm having fun with it and look to add the power function very soon. I'm waiting for a new prototype powermeter that is going to be released 2nd quarter of the year. Instead of having the powermeter built into a hub or crankset, it will be built into the pedal spindles so you can transfer them easily to other bikes. Another cool thing about the new cranks is that they will measure each leg independently so you can see how smooth your pedal stroke is and have cadence information. Throw that info in with heartrate information and you can determine what cadence is more efficient at particular loads.

Havn't seen what they are going to cost, but I know they won't be giving them away! Laughing
Back to top Go down
thedawg28

thedawg28

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: some "Conversation"   some "Conversation" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 11:21 am

UHHH did I mention that my bosses brother is the CFO of Garmin!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedawg28.blogspot.com
Doug Long

Doug Long

PostSubject: Re: some "Conversation"   some "Conversation" Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:35 pm

I can't remember you dropping that little bit of trivia. Nice contact!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: some "Conversation"   some "Conversation" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

some "Conversation"
Page 1 of 1