The best mountain biking in north central Missouri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The best mountain biking in north central Missouri

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trail Damage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thedawg28

thedawg28

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: Trail Damage   Trail Damage Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:29 pm

If anyone wants to see what damage occurs when you ride on wet trails....just go and walk down from parking lot #17. Someone has rode on the trail when it was wet and left large ruts. These ruts have standing water in them and the water has followed the ruts down the trail causing a mess. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedawg28.blogspot.com
distalamputee

distalamputee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: I feel your pain   Trail Damage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm

I've been out hiking Thouasand Hills Trail cursing to myself (and aloud at times) about tire ruts weaving all over damnation on the trail. There where tracks on the Rainbow Basin side in what must have been "love bird formation" -- riding abreast anyway. I'm going to ask the park guys about posting a trail etiquite sign at the trail heads.
Back to top Go down
Doug Long

Doug Long

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Damage   Trail Damage Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 8:31 am

I'm thinking more about posting "snipers"!

The rule is: "If you start a ride and the conditions are wet enough to leave at rut, turn around and go home!" If it is a matter of a seap and the trail is mostly dry, walk around it.

My concern is the "welling" that occurs when the ruts hold water. There is a reason why you build trails with outslope and grade reversals to shed water. It is always better to build where there is steep outslope. Flat to slightly slopped areas are sometimes easier to build on initially, but they will have drainage problems in the long run.
Back to top Go down
bernzie508

bernzie508

Number of posts : 245

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Damage   Trail Damage Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:27 pm

I was out armoring a water crossing this morning and got caught in the pouring rain. On the way out, it had been raining at most 5 minutes, one of those rutted areas already had a lot of water funneling thru it. It's going to take some work to get that fixed.

I hadn't planned on working out today but trying to run out in the rain with my jeans and long sleeve shirt super heavy from being drenched had my heart rate elevated for sure!!!
Back to top Go down
distalamputee

distalamputee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: trail court   Trail Damage Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Growing up in Wisconsin the police would stop kids running stop signs, riding double, what have you, and make them attend a sort of traffic court/ sensitivity seminar for bikes. I don't know how it would affect public interest in trails, but being fined "man hours" (please forgive the sexist language) for damaging trails might empower people to be more sensitive to their impact on the world around them.

Side note: I went out hiking yesterday and the trails here where amazingly dry -- aside from a few heinous seeps we have.
(What are the best ways to facilatate seep drainage?)
Back to top Go down
Doug Long

Doug Long

Number of posts : 475

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Damage   Trail Damage Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Armor them with large rock. We've used french drains in the past at Crowder, till the horses stomped them to oblivion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trail Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Damage   Trail Damage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trail Damage
Page 1 of 1