The best mountain biking in north central Missouri

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

32x16 tells no lies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
distalamputee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: 32x16 tells no lies   Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:27 pm

So I swapped the gears out for round two of the single speed scene. I think it's going to do me a world of good. I went out to the park today to see how many laps I could get in on "Craig's Cove" -- talk about getting my @** handed to me... about 1/2 a mile into lap two and I turned around and headed for the car. Too bad there isn't an emoticon for projectile vomiting... pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bernzie508

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: 32x16 tells no lies   Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:48 am

32 x 16??? Wow, you are jumping in with both feet!!! I don't know what the terrain/elevation/mileage is where you were riding but you are getting after it with that gear ratio. I usually ride a 32 x 18 unless I know I am going to do a ton of climbing and then I swap it over to a 32 x 20. I think I would have to ride a pretty flat course for the 16 tooth cog, but that's just me. I'm glad to hear you were out, stay after it because it will come around for you. Mark always tells me "It never gets easier, just FASTER"!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
distalamputee

PostSubject: singlespeeding   Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:00 pm

I ordered the conversion kit from performancebike a couple of years ago and exploded the chain on the climb behind the dam at THT (tried to run a 9spd chain instead of a single speed chain -- frugality can really be quite painfull) Instead of having to wait for the correct replacement chain to arrive in the mail, I just set the bike back up with gears, but have toyed with the idea of taking another crack at singlespeeding off and on ever since. The kit came with three cogs 14, 15 and 16. When I went out the other day the gear felt pretty good for about 1.5 miles and then I found myself looking for the granny gear. I can't imagine running either of the smaller cogs. I planned to head out for the campground loop that day, but ran out of time, so I just went to Craig's Cove. The loop starts approx 1/4mile from the trail head and is about 2.3 miles (with a mind numbing mile of sevice road mixed in) As it turns out, it would have been a long drive for a pretty short ride, had I made the trip out to Posey. When my legs and my lungs learn to get along a little better I will definitely head out that way to churn out some campground laps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
distalamputee

PostSubject: if the ten day forcast pans out...   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:41 pm

If the weather holds I plan to head out that way next Wed. for some campground laps. It's a sure bet that my legs and lungs still won't be playing nice together by then, but it will be good fun all the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 32x16 tells no lies   

Back to top Go down

32x16 tells no lies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1