The best mountain biking in north central Missouri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The best mountain biking in north central Missouri

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trail running

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
distalamputee

distalamputee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-10-01

trail running Empty
PostSubject: trail running   trail running Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:04 pm

I just spent close to a teary hour surfing the web for bottom bracket taps and am coming to the realization that I'm officially a trail runner until I can afford a new frame. In some ways it's a timely transition as there is a group in Kirksville putting together a THT half-marathon -- some time in October I think.

It's been years since I've done any running, but the way I'm choosing to look at it is, when I am finally saddled up again, I will actually be in decent shape. Suspect
Back to top Go down
thedawg28

thedawg28

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2009-04-16

trail running Empty
PostSubject: Re: trail running   trail running Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:27 am

Do it barefooted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedawg28.blogspot.com
distalamputee

distalamputee

trail running Empty
PostSubject: Re: trail running   trail running Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm

The New Balance Nimbus is as close to barefooting as I would dare tread. At $100 though, I'd probably be better off just going barefoot. One of my college friends -- half ninja, half hippie -- had such calloused feet he could walk through broken glass -- not really a skill I have much interest in picking up.

On a side note and after reading your latest blog entry: I had the priviledge to go on a couple of rides with a World Cup racer for Giant when I was living out in Utah, and he talked about getting stuck in traffic jams of people walking the technical sections at races and what a pain in the ass it was (and how it was the "roady" type racers who typically started the pile ups).
Back to top Go down
Doug Long

Doug Long

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2007-11-20

trail running Empty
PostSubject: Re: trail running   trail running Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 am

I'm sure Denny is referring to the book "Born to Run" which is a wonderful read and explains what the evolution of shoes has done to pure running and what injuries are caused by over-striding as a result of cushioned shoes. Yes I was a runner long before I became a cyclist. That book is an awesome read.

Getting back to your bottom bracket problem. Which frame and what kind of a tap. I know lots of people that may be able to help you.
Back to top Go down
distalamputee

distalamputee

trail running Empty
PostSubject: Re: trail running   trail running Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 2:16 pm

So I finally picked up a copy of Born to Run. I'm a pretty slow reader, but I finished it in three sittings. It was an enjoyable read. I really liked a William James quote cited: "Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own -- sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

The F.L.A.T.S Half Marathon is Oct 22nd (the same day as the 2011 BTEPIC). I'm leaning toward doing the trail run as an exercise in "keeping things local" and supporting the FLATS initiative. Now all I have to do is get off my lazy duff and start throwing some running days into the mix I guess -- get off my lazy duff and stay off my duff Sleep

A correction: It is the New Balance Minimus (not the Nimbus) that is the closest to barefooting I would dare tread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

trail running Empty
PostSubject: Re: trail running   trail running Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trail running
Page 1 of 1