The best mountain biking in north central Missouri
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The best mountain biking in north central Missouri

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

green with envy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
singletrackmind

singletrackmind

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2012-01-28

green with envy Empty
PostSubject: green with envy   green with envy Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Somebody pinch me. I'm green with envy.

So I got out yesterday for a good 6 hour hike. We are still pretty wet over here but with the green out, I'm guessing that water will soon be drunk up and feeding all that grows. The thorn bushes have exploded in new growth already. The grass changed at least 3-4 depths of green in the time I was out.

So anyway, back to the point: I meet a couple out yesterday on a pair of Salsa's version of the Pugsley. Those things just float over the muck. You'd have to see the tracks to believe it. I've always thought it would be cool to build up a snowbike. Yesterday that idea jumped up several rungs on the proverbial and ever growing toy list. It's always been a simple idea to squash with the consideration of "how much snow riding am I really going to do." Now I'll have to find a deeper bag of reason.
Back to top Go down
Doug Long

Doug Long

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2007-11-20

green with envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: green with envy   green with envy Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:48 am

I can't say that I would enjoy riding an over and back at 1000 Hills on a Pugsley! Different strokes for different folks. I'd have problems forking down the money for something so 'condition specific." I actually know someone that owns one and I've never seen him ride it.

You need to add a cross bike to your collection. Great GGrinding and you can throw on road tires if your going long distances with it. If you have the right cross tires and pump them up, road is no problem. Larger volume and you can do some trail riding. Just think rigid 29er with drop bars, which is just exactly what a cross bike is. You can get into a used cross bike CHEAP and be able to roll right out your driveway for a training ride.
Back to top Go down
singletrackmind

singletrackmind

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2012-01-28

green with envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: green with envy   green with envy Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:40 pm

I've kept the idea of a crossbike on the horizon for quite a few years now. I rode a steel KHS Flite 500 as a commuter for a couple of years and really loved it. I found myself wishing I could run larger tires though. (The fattest tire I could run was a 28.) One of the things I was surprised most about was how fast I could turn into the alley on those tall skinny tires. They'd just dig in and rail the corner. Ever since, I've considered adding a crossbike to the stable. I'd probably build it up on a 29er frame to keep tire clearance issues more open ended.
Back to top Go down
bernzie508

bernzie508

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-11-20

green with envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: green with envy   green with envy Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:16 pm

I currently run a 32 on the front and a 34 on the rear with no clearance issues at all. My DK tires I believe are 35 and they are snug to get through the brake pads but clearance on the frame and fork is not an issue, if memory serves me correctly I think I dropped the pressure to mount the wheel and then aired them back up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

green with envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: green with envy   green with envy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

green with envy
Page 1 of 1